Did You Know?

Did you know,

Many construction projects are classified as “MINOR WORK” as defined by the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) N.J.A.C. 5:23.

5:23-1.4 Definitions

“Minor Work” means construction work undertaken in existing structures, requiring no prior approvals and no plan review, not altering in any way the structural members of a building and meeting the definition set forth in N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.17A.

What kind of projects are considered Minor Work?

5:23-2.17A (c) Minor Work:

1. Minor Work shall mean and include:

i. The construction or total replacement of any porch or stoop which does not provide structural support for any roof or portion of a building;

ii. Renovation or alteration work in an existing one or two-family dwelling, provided that no primary structural members are altered in any way, and further provided that the work does not constitute reconstruction; and

iii. The removal and replacement of more than 25 percent of the exterior siding of a one or two-family dwelling;

2. Minor work shall also mean and include the replacement of any existing plumbing piping work with new and approved material of like capacity; the installation of drinking fountains and condensate drains in existing structures; the replacement of existing low pressure water heaters with new ones of like capacity; and the new installation of lavatories, water closets, bathtubs, showers, clothes washers or dishwashers, and garbage disposers in existing space of one and two-family dwellings where the new installation of additional fixtures can be accommodated with no increase in the size of the water distribution system, water service or house drain;

3. Minor work shall also mean and shall include the replacement of existing low pressure boilers, warm air furnaces, air conditioning units and air conditioning condensing units with new appliances of like capacity;

4. Minor work shall also mean and include new electrical work incidental to the installation of air conditioning, equipment, clothes dryers, and ranges or ovens in one and two-family dwellings; the installation of five or fewer 125 or 250 volt receptacles or fixtures where existing circuits and/or available space circuits and service are adequate to support the load; the replacement of existing wiring with new wiring of the same capacity provided that the new wiring shall be of a type approved for the use by the code;

5. Minor work shall also mean and include the following:

i. The installation of any fire detection or suppression device in any one-or two-family dwelling;

ii. The installation of a radon mitigation system in an existing one-or two-family dwelling;

iii. The installation of a burglar alarm or security system in any structure;

iv. The installation of communications wiring in any Class 1 or Class 2 structure or any Class 3 structure involving the penetration of a fire-resistance rated assembly.

(1) For the purposes of applying this provision, communications wiring shall mean any wiring covered by Chapter 8 of the electrical subcode. Communications wiring shall also include data circuits between computers/information technology equipment, which may be classified as “communications circuits,” in accordance with Article 725 of the electrical subcode; and

v. Any change of an existing transmission means from a digital alarm communicator transmitter to a fire alarm supervising station.

(1) For the purposes of applying this provision, transmission means shall mean the existing phone line(s) that transmit fire alarm signals from a digital alarm communicator transmitter to the supervising station. A certified fire alarm service company, licensed fire alarm company or licensed electrical contractor shall submit Form F-391 signed by the contractor to provide a verification statement in writing to the fire subcode official within 24 hours that all required signals remain operational after the new transmission means is installed.

What are the Permit Requirements of a Minor Work Project?

5:23-2.14 Construction permits–when required

Minor Work as defined by N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.17A shall require a permit. However, work may proceed, upon notice to the enforcing agency, before the permit is issued;

What about inspections? Do I need a rough inspection for a Minor Work project?

5:23-2.17A Minor Work

(d) Inspection of Minor Work:

1. Inspections shall be required for minor work and the enforcing agency shall inspect any such work within 30 days of the request for inspection;

i  Exception: The replacement of an existing transmission means shall not require an onsite inspection by the fire subcode official as long as the verification form required by (c) 5v (1) above is received within 24 hours of installation; and

2. The construction official shall issue a certificate of approval stating that the work performed under a Minor Work Permit substantially complies with the UCC. The inspection shall be based upon what is visible at the time of said inspection and the certificate of approval shall so indicate.

The above is not the complete list of Minor Work”.

Source: NJ Administrative Code, Uniform Construction Code.

Want to learn more about Minor Work and many other types of work?
Click Here to learn more about attending “Contractors and the Rehab Sub Code”.

Ordinary Maintenance

Did You Know?

Ordinary Maintenance – Shower Valves

At N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.7(c)2vii, the section on ordinary maintenance includes the “replacement of valves (including shower or combination bath/shower valves in a single family dwelling).”

The question is: Is the replacement of a two-handle and diverter bath/shower valve by a combination single bath/shower valve in a single-family dwelling ordinary maintenance? If not, is a permit required?

The answer is that it is ordinary maintenance and, therefore, no permit is required. Whether the valve is replaced with like-for-like or with another type of valve where minor piping modifications would be needed, the replacement would be ordinary maintenance and would not require a permit.

Should you have any questions, you may contact Thomas Pitcherello at 609-984-7609.

Article Source: Code Communicator
Author: Thomas C. Pitcherello
Code Assistance Unit